Skip to main content

My travelogue into poetry and the Giza's encounter by: Hassan Idris



Oftentimes, people infer 'triumphing' as a means of  obtaining riches, fame,or just to become illustrious. Thus, it depends on how we  perceive social reality.  We all have different perceptions in understanding the world politically, socially and economically.
Moreover, stepping into writing is one of my greatest accomplishment.  My encounter with Umar Yogiza Jr, is another story to tell.

Cogitating within myself, I wonder if, One can ever be creative without having any encounter with books? One must read other people’s work, see through their experiences and perceptions in order to develop a unique kind of creativity.
  My voyage into Poetry began  after reading some worth reading poems of  Sulaiman Ayuba,  Adamu Usman Garko, Sultanatul Jamilat, Mujahid Ameen lilo, Maryam Maynerh Saleh, so also Umar Yogiza Jr.


  It was then that  I decided to compose a poem of my own but I was punctured with the blow of criticism!
Notwithstanding, I realized  that criticism is a manure, it makes a writer grow. Veraciously,I have to be strong enough to withstand and overcome all form of critiques.

Thenceforth, I joined Creative Writer’s Club Gombe state University. I write, present and await criticisms. Likewise , I also decided to join Creative Writer’s Club Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria Nigeria where I’m schooling  to  further enhance my writing skills.
Whilst, my joining Creative Writer’s Club, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria Nigeria, I first met Chair person, Hassana Maina, also Muhammad Gulani and Nuraini the Chairman of the Club. Sincerely, their personalities represent Creativity, philanthropy and intellectuality.

When I first  joined the Club, I only attended their several workshops,enjoyed other people's presentations and appreciated their works silently. One day, Hassana  Maina asked me to share my pieces with them, she told me to feel free to  present my literary works in the next Workshops.

During the next Workshop at Kongo Campus, faculty of Law, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, I went there with my paper presentation. I sat like all other days, listening to other presenters, but it wasn't as comfortable as before,  I was too nervous to even comprehend what the speakers were  saying.
My expression was  neutral, but inside, I was dying with fear,  my heart was pounding so hard and my brain kept shouting that  I would be the next presenter after the person before me. The love I have for Hafsat Tanimu Suleiman was a very gearing factor towards my victory that day. I  summoned all my courage walk up to the stage  to present my piece amidst other literary enthusiasts. My Poem presentation was not that bad,   critics and recommendations were made and I had the unforgettable experience.

In addendum, I met  Umar Yogiza Jr- the author of Instrument of Immortality. I have been reading some of his piece on social media in many websites but have never met him physically.

   I first met him on Facebook, I send him a friend request and he accepted. We chat, I informed him  that I am  a Young writer from Ahmadu Bello University,  and that I was really inspired by his  Magical, and thunderous write-ups, he send a smiley face, so I asked him if I can  share some of my poems to go through. The  Brobdingnagian Yogiza Jr, gave me his contact info and told me to  send  my poems through that he also said he would meet me at  A.B.U Zaria  fest if I happened  to be Present, but the event was later called off.

Yogiza Jr went through my poems, encouraged me to put more efforts and told me that my Poems were nice.  I developed more courage and more zeal to continue  writing.  At about 9:24pm on Wednesday, July, 30th 2019, Umar Yogiza Jr,  messaged me that he was to come  for a Program for Association of Nigerian Authors ,Benue State Chapter, Benue State, Makurdi. That  we should meet there on Thursday, 1st August 2019.

Joyously, I met with him. That nostalgic Thursday, which he Welcomed me with a warmth heart, his smile and generosity was accomadating. Behold, I saw a Creative Magician!  Umar Yogiza Jr, is Perhaps a Poetic Magician! We moved together with him to the event and after some minutes, the event commenced. There was the present of the President of Association of Nigerian Authors, Professor Jerry Agada and some other  proffessors, Philosophical Doctors, Young Writers and many more. The event was segmented into two sections; one was for Authors to express their books published  and the other  was for Poetry.

Amidst the poetry section, Umar Yogiza Jr, presented one of his Poem and there was a round of applause for him during and after his presentation. A Doctor of philosophy Presented a very nice poem with its review capturing contemporary Nigeria, Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, Igala, Idoma, Igbira, Tiv  etc Pointing that they are all brothers, and how Political and religious sentiments sets in causing huge degenerations and hatreds.

During the second segment , a great writer, father, Author etc  Dr.  Kamilos lectured us about “KENETIC” -  The consolidation of kinetic; how writers create love, solidarity and share aesthetic. He later moved on to talk about how religious differences, political elites etc  poisoned our hearts and decomposed  aesthetic nature of writers. He also crap shoot into the 'ills' young writers face in the terrain of creativity;  young writer’s victimology!

Prof. Jerry Agada the President of Association of Nigerian Authors spoke last at the Conference. He postulated that without suffering there’s no enjoyment and that we should keep reading and writing too.
And finally Umar Yogiza Jr was recommended for his hard work towards ensuring and assisting young writers both on Facebook and in all ramifications.
This is my travelogue and the Giza's encounter ………

©Hassan Idris Writes from Benue, Nigeria.


Together at a conference with Umar Yogiza Jr, the author of instruments of immortality and others at Association of Nigerian authors(ANA), Benue state chapter.



Comments

  1. What a great encounter, you are already a great writer. Keep writing. Keep reading.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

" I wish I could write "

“ I wish I could write “ I wish I could write for you, how the great Umar Yogiza's Pen flip up pages, portraying love and simplicity! I wish I could write how Maryam Gatawa’s ink, Pierced through my heart like the way a needle pierce through the hands of a man How Adamu Usman Garko's literary works, wakes the dead from the grave, unleashing them to sing 'Galala' to the amusement of his Pen I wish I could, I could write how Mujahid Ameen Lilo’s Pen, sings the melody of a caring brother washing away my sorrows I wish to write of Sulayman Ayub, how his Pen advocated humanity,and how it analysed the loop holes of this generation How Maryam Mayner's pen inspired my fallen soul, and how Sultie's Magical pen washes away my sorrows like Alomo bitter I wish I could be a writer, writing about humanity and creativity! © Hassan Idris July, 2019 Hassan Idris hails from kogi state, an Igala by tribe. He's  currently a Stu

A.B.U ZARIA'S SOCIOLOGY STUDENT WINS INTERNATIONAL ESSAY COMPETITION OF UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Hassan Idris is a final year student of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria -Nigeria, studying Sociology and Anthroplogy. He is a young poet, writer, essayist, student advocate and a member of the Creative writer's Club, A. B. U Zaria, Creative Club Gombe State University, Northern writer's Summit, Risingyouth, Principal private Secretary to NASSS president A.B.U Zaria, and Hill-Top Creative Arts Foundation. His works has appeared in Zamfaradigest magazines,Teemikamedia.com,Naijamedia.com, Yodelehub.Com,Appliedworldwide, Kano State Students magazine, and Creative Writer's Club, Kongo Campus, A. B. U  Zaria. He's a guest writer and contributor for appliedworldwide. He received an Award from the Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Ahmadu Bello University,  Zaria-Nigeria as the best researcher in 2017. The young Sociologist from Wadata, in Benue state, came third position in the June, 2020 International Sociological and Anthropological Student essay competition situate